IVN Assignment 1

ILLUSTRATION & VISUAL NARRATIVE

8/11/2023 - 8/12/2023 (Week 7 - Week 11)

Dea Natasha Binti Mohd Khairul Fauzi (0368610)
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Illustration & Visual Narrative



Instruction




Assignment 1 Editorial Illustration (Decisive Moment)

Part 1 (Illustration)

Today, we were given our first assignment. We have to make an illustration and a short animation based on an urban legend. This assignment will be done in three weeks. 

After doing some research, I've decided to choose the urban legend about the yellow Volkswagen of Karak Highway. It is said that whoever drives at midnight at Karak Highway would bump into this yellow car. When driving, you will notice this car coming from behind, giving you high beams. After you moved to the side, the yellow car will pass by you. If you look at the car, you'll notice that there is no driver in it. 

I started by looking for references. I looked for pictures of a yellow volkswagen. I also looked for the picture of the Karak Highway to make sure I drew it correctly. I also found some arts that matches the urban legend that I chose.

Figure 1.1 : Moodboard

I sketched my rough idea on a sketchbook first. 

Figure 1.2 : Sketch

After the sketch was approved, I started the colouring process.

Figure 1.3 : Started colouring

Figure 1.4 : Adding finishing touches


Final Illustration Submission

Final illustration submission



Part 2 (Animation)

For the next part, we have to create a very simple GIF animation.  I plan to make the leaves in the background and the cars move. I also want the lights to blink to give an eerie vibe.  

Figure 2.1 : Creating each frame (30 frames)

Figure 2.2 : Animating the GIF in Adobe Photoshop


Final GIF Animation Submission

Final GIF Animation Submission


Digital Triptych

After researching all types of transitions, I decided to use the aspect to aspect transition. 

Panel 1

For the first frame, I wanted to draw the view from inside the real car (not the yellow Volkswagen). The real human driver is looking at the yellow Volkswagen that appears to not have a driver. 

Figure 3.1 : Sketch

Figure 3.2 : Colouring the yellow car

Figure 3.3 : Colouring the foreground

Figure 3.4 : Shading

Panel 2

For the last frame, I wanted to show the driver's point of view. He is about to crash into the metal barrier and fall to his death in the ditch below. 

Figure 4.1 : Sketch

Figure 4.2 : Colouring

Figure 4.3 : Shading and lighting



Final Triptych Submission







.
.
.
THE END
.
.
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog